Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Ray Kurzweil - movie reviewer

Remember Ray Kurzweil? Well, he recently ripped apart Avatar based almost solely on the battle technologies used within the movie. That, and he "thought the story and script was unimaginative, one-dimensional, and derivative."

No. way.



I suppose it's difficult for an "artificial intelligence, transhumanism, the technological singularity, and futurism" (Wiki) genius to look at it any other way, eh? Kinda funny.

I mean, this kind of perspective is, hmmm..., is peculiar when applied to a blockbuster-orientated movie. I can't say I disagree with him on a lot of his points, but there is something in me saying that he kinda didn't get (or address/acknowledge) all the ideas and perspectives behind the making of the movie. It just seems like a fairly narrow review, is all I'm saying. For example, Cameron's cultural, battle, weaponry, and futurism choices/references may have been deliberately "incorrect" - though perhaps lazy and formulaic - for reasons such as familiarity, association and simplicity in order to reach a wider money, umm.. audience.

Of course, Mr. Kurzweil's next blog post was "How to build a superluminal computer", so what do I know.

Update: Not incidentally, it seems Ray has surprisingly ;) thought about Cameron's limited choices as well... However, I just don't remember Mr. Kurzweil forwarding his review of Star Wars, like my friend TheDurkinKnight.

No comments:

Post a Comment